Peru enforces a 6-Month Passport rule which requires your passport be valid for at least 6 months from your planned date of arrival. If you are staying longer than 6 months, you will need a passport valid for at least 90 days following your departure date from Peru. Most destinations, including Peru, require that you have adequate un-used pages in your passport, allowing for any necessary stamps upon arrival and departure. We recommend that you have at least two free pages in the Visas section of your passport before any international travel. U.S. citizens can get extra passport pages added to their passports.
Follow these steps to travel into Peru:
- Before you leave the states, obtain a valid passport
- Upon arrival in Peru at Lima (Jorge Chavez International) airport, pass through immigrations
- At the immigrations desk, request 90-day-tourist-visa
- Proceed to baggage claim to collect your baggage. Then, proceed to customs before exiting.
- If you are staying beyond 90 days: Before expiration of 90 days, leave country for 24 hours for visa renewal (recommended border countries are Ecuador or Bolivia)
- Upon return to Peru, repeat step 3
Note: 90-day visa is not guaranteed and if a lesser visa is received upon your arrival in Peru, you may have to make additional payments in order to extend your visa.
Vacation and Travel Guidelines
Vacation and travel times for student missionaries will coincide with visa renewal trips. Visa renewal trips are granted a two (2) week time frame to allow volunteer travel/vacation time if so desired.
If further travel time is desired, it may be arranged with project administration for volunteer to leave project site up to two (2) weeks prior to scheduled departure for further travel opportunities.
All travel schedules (dates) must be approved by project administration.
Family and friends are always welcome to visit a volunteer at the project site and join in with current activities. Any expected visits must be coordinated with project administration. If a volunteer expects a visitor and wishes to have travel time off-site with said visitor, request must be submitted in advance to project leadership for approval.